About Elevate Energy
Elevate Energy was formed in 2000 by the Center for Neighborhood Technology (CNT). We got our start organizing neighborhood-specific responses to address brownouts affecting the Chicago area. From there we invented the concept of hourly electricity pricing programs for residential customers, piloted a program to prove it would work, and then helped pass a law to make it available to everyone in Illinois. From these early successes, we saw that pairing relevant technical solutions and education could improve energy efficiency in a major way, and create benefits for everyone. Next, we partnered with the affordable housing community to use energy efficiency retrofits in apartment buildings as a tool to preserve vital housing stock for working families.
Today we’ve branched out with new programs, but we hold close to our roots. We continue to administer the state’s two residential hourly electric pricing programs that we helped create, and we upgrade apartment buildings with quality efficiency retrofits with our partner Community Investment Corporation. We’re also working with utilities to develop another innovative rate option—peak time rebate—and we retrofit a myriad of building types, from single family homes and smaller apartment buildings to houses of worship and daycare centers.
Additionally, we now work at the community-wide level to bring efficiency to scale. We administer Energy Impact Illinois, a regional initiative of utilities, government entities, and nonprofit organizations working to create a self-sustaining efficiency marketplace. We partner with contractors to ensure their construction work maximizes energy efficiency gains. We are helping the City of Chicago implement its energy benchmarking ordinance, and we’re working with the real estate community to appropriately value energy efficiency upgrades at the point of home sale/purchase.
Since 2000, we’ve grown, moved, and changed our name, but we are still closely affiliated with CNT, a leader in promoting urban sustainability and the more effective use of existing resources and community assets. We’re currently working together to incorporate water conservation and flood prevention measures into our building retrofit programs. For updates, please visit our blog.
Our Mission: Help people do more with less energy.
We design and implement efficiency programs that lower costs, protect the environment, and ensure the benefits of energy efficiency reach those who need them most. This “triple bottom line” approach—and the holistic solutions that result—makes us unique.
Walking the Walk
We’re all about smarter energy use for all, including ourselves.
- Our first office was a 1920’s weaving factory, which we renovated to the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Platinum status in 2005, making it the second building in Chicago to achieve this level of designation. Our affiliate CNT still resides there.
- Our second office space had a large paved lot that we tore up to create a rain garden that reduced runoff and created an oasis alongside our busy, gritty street.
- We’ve won the citywide Bike to Work Week Challenge for 10 years in a row.
- We recycle our paper, plastic, and glass, sure, but we even recycle our food scraps—which are extra tasty to our vermicomposting worms.
- We were a top-10 finisher in the 2013 Chicago Green Office Challenge.