Community Solar Business Case Tool
The Community Solar Business Case Tool provides a flexible financial model that projects the costs and benefits to the system developer and subscriber of a single community solar project. Download the template spreadsheet here. For an Illinois-specific tool, please download here.
The Community Solar Business Case Tool has been developed using the panel purchase or panel lease price as a basis for project costs. A basic “breakeven” price for panel purchase or monthly panel lease value is given based on the price of electricity over the course of the project.
- Enter system parameters.
- Enter panel purchase or monthly panel lease price at or better than the breakeven price.
- Enter city or town name to populate generation rates.
- Modify inputs based on project and system design and local incentives.
- Click the “Calculate” button.
- Review the Dashboard outputs to analyze the model.
- Adjust panel purchase or monthly panel lease price based on key metrics, balancing Subscriber and Developer costs and benefits.