Community Outreach Representative – Central Illinois
The Community Outreach Representative will work with Elevate Energy’s Outreach Manager to implement community-based strategies for educating and engaging individuals on saving both money and energy. This may include providing general awareness of new technologies associated with the “smart grid” as well as helping customers enroll in programs sponsored by Elevate Energy, utilities, or third parties that help them reduce their energy bills and environmental impact. The Community Outreach Representative will be assigned a designated geography in Central Illinois and be held accountable for achieving a metrics-driven outreach and organizing plan.
The Community Outreach Representative reports directly to the Outreach Manager. The Representative will work closely with Elevate Energy’s Communications and Marketing team to coordinate messaging across programs and must be well-versed in the range of programs and activities of the organization. Tasks include, but are not limited to, holding meetings with community leaders to inform them about program offerings, conducting outreach events with community organizations, working directly with individual customers to host meetings in their homes, following up by phone with customers interested in programs, and carefully tracking the progress of efforts in electronic database systems.
- Implement and be held accountable to a metrics-driven outreach plan
- Lead and direct constituent engagement, including outreach to individuals at community events and house parties
- Engage key stakeholders including, but not limited to, local elected officials and community leaders
- Recruit, manage, and train local volunteer teams
- Build partnerships with community organizations
- Organize community meetings, events, and training sessions
- Develop and implement neighborhood-specific messaging with marketing staff
- Follow up with interested homeowners to encourage their participation in the program
- Data entry and maintain data integrity
- Other activities as required
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Bilingual Spanish preferred but not required
- Passion for environmental issues, economic and social justice, and/or energy efficiency
- Willingness and ability to become well-versed in residential energy use, including smart grid technologies, dynamic electric pricing, energy efficiency technology, and building science
- Exceptional verbal communication skills and comfort speaking to large groups and facilitating small group discussions; excel at one-on-one interactions
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with individuals from a wide variety of backgrounds and political beliefs
- Strong written communication skills; can craft professional letters or email communications
- Strong organizational ability and experience in meeting established goals within tight timeframes
- Self-starter with ability to work independently and remotely as well as within a team
- Familiarity with standard business computer applications; experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems a plus
- Demonstrated experience in effectively leading and collaborating with volunteers; management or supervisory experience a plus
- Ability and willingness to motivate individuals to take action regarding their energy usage and engaging with new technology and programs to assist with this; prior experience in sales or organizing a plus
- Familiarity with community organizing or political campaign organizing strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Central Illinois, its communities, community organizations, and leaders a plus
- Familiarity with energy efficiency upgrades or residential construction a plus
- Access to reliable transportation, a personal computer with internet access, and a cell phone
- Ability to periodically travel to Elevate Energy’s headquarters in Chicago for team events, meetings, etc.
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
This is a nonexempt position.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Community Outreach Representative” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate Energy will only contact candidates via an elevateenergy.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.