Elevate Energy is looking for a hands-on Director, Accounting to support and grow our accounting team and infrastructure. We’re looking for a mission-oriented, thoughtful candidate who has an enthusiasm for managing and helping people, as well as expertise in scaling up Accounting to meet the needs of a rapid growth organization. The Accounting Team at Elevate Energy is a small, talented team that currently supports the organization’s 140 employees. That support includes accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, grant and contract administration, month-end close, as well as annual audit and tax filings.
As the Director, Accounting you’ll work closely with the Director, Finance and Chief Financial Officer (CFO), as well as with counterparts in Human Resources, Legal, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Information Technology (IT), Development, and Programs to ensure we’re thinking of solutions that benefit our end-users at Elevate Energy. You’ll also manage our accounting team to help them set and roll out goals, create strong relationships with all of Elevate Energy’s departments, and support our accounting team in growing their skill sets. The Director, Accounting reports to the CFO.
- Oversee and perform daily accounting activities, including accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll functions and reconciliations
- Lead and maintain accounting functions to ensure accurate recordkeeping, reporting, and compliance with GAAP
- Manage timeliness of close process including supporting the preparation, review, and finalization of monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Develop and mentor team members and direct reports in line with department growth plan
- Lead and conduct grants and contracts initiatives including proposals and reporting; ensure full cost recovery and assist with preparation of all proposal budgets, amendments, and revisions
- Manage monthly revenue calculations for grants and contracts and reconcile variances for program status reports versus government-mandated financial reports
- Lead the Elevate Energy audit preparation and activities and tax filing preparation
- Partner with Director, Finance and CFO on financial KPIs and reporting for internal and external stakeholders
- Maintain and refine cash forecast tool for critical organizational decisions
- Partner with Director, Finance and CFO on organizational financial literacy
- Partner with key stakeholder to provide tools and solutions that improve end-user experience
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place
- Maintain current knowledge of accounting standards as well as Federal award requirements and OMB Super Circular; remain current on changes to governmental regulations
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field required
- Minimum five or more years of experience and knowledge of accounting, including financial reporting and analysis, general ledger, payroll, accounts payable and receivable, complex cost allocations, and annual audits; some nonprofit experience beneficial
- Minimum three years of supervisory experience required
- High energy and enthusiasm, with a strong commitment to team and customers
- Flexibility and openness to assist with growing organizational needs
- Ability to learn quickly, make an immediate impact, and provide value-added service to leadership and customers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, displaying the ability to connect and build relationships with clients, organization leadership, and peers
- Proven track record of training and developing staff
- Team player with a strong desire to be an active, long-term participant in the growth of the Accounting and Finance team and the organization overall
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret financial reports and legal documents
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers
- Excellent knowledge of financial software systems, including Microsoft Office, ERP and financial systems
- Ability to develop and implement strategies to improve operations and processes
- Highest commitment to accuracy along with attention to detail
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate Energy, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate Energy employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation, and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate Energy.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Director, Accounting” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate Energy will only contact candidates via an elevateenergy.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.