The Energy Engineer works directly with property owners and real estate development teams in Michigan and the Midwest to improve the performance, occupant health, and durability of buildings. The Energy Engineer is based in Michigan, where Elevate Energy provides energy efficiency services to affordable multifamily housing owners, government agencies, and nonprofits. Additionally, the Energy Engineer coordinates with other technical staff across Elevate Energy’s offices as well as with local and national partner organizations. The Energy Engineer reports directly to the Director of Midwest Market Development and Strategy and collaborates very closely with members of Elevate’s Strategy team nationally.
- Develop and deliver work products in Michigan and the Midwest for the implementation of high-performance building projects (retrofits, renovations, and new construction) from pre-design through construction to operations optimization.
- Conduct energy and water assessments, including assessing complex mechanical systems, completing detailed engineering calculations, load modeling, developing energy and water efficiency and renewable energy strategies, and writing reports.
- Participate in client design and project meetings to discuss cost effective efficiency and renewable energy strategies and ensure recommended strategies are understood and remain in the project scope.
- Review technical documents such as building plans, specifications, and submittals to ensure that high-performance building design intent and applicable certification requirements are incorporated and feasible.
- Assist with construction management responsibilities, including inspections, to ensure that projects are implemented as designed, program requirements are met, and problems are identified and resolved to the client’s satisfaction.
- Assist with post-occupancy evaluations of projects to ensure they perform as intended.
- Coordinate with utility representatives and complete rebate forms.
- Work with client teams to implement green building rating systems, such as LEED, Enterprise Green Communities, and ENERGY STAR® Multifamily New Construction.
- Assist with management of client relations and expectations.
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external team members regularly.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering required
- Technical architectural and mechanical competency, knowledge of building systems, green building practices and operations, including 3 or more years of experience conducting ASHRAE Level 2 energy assessments and/or site inspections required
- Technical competence in reading and interpreting specifications and plans required
- Must be located in Michigan, with local knowledge of Michigan energy partners preferred
- Experience in multifamily building science a plus
- Experience working on certification projects and/or retrofit programs strongly preferred
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), Engineer-in-Training, (EIT), HERS Rater, LEED accreditation, BPI certification, North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) or ability to obtain a certification a plus
- Experience with solar, energy storage, microgrids, electrification, smart home/building technology, energy or water monitoring, and integration of energy systems a plus
- Experience with LEED, Enterprise Green Community, ENERGY STAR® Multifamily New Construction or other certification projects a plus
- Highly detail-oriented and organized individual with the ability to manage multiple assignments and work with tight deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, collaboration, and consultative skills
- Inquisitive and positive mindset in approaching complex problems
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented, and a team player
- A valid drivers’ license
- Ability to travel across Michigan and to other Midwest states as needed to meet with clients and conduct assessments, support business development efforts, and attend quarterly staff meetings at Elevate headquarters in Chicago
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate Energy, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate Energy employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others take priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking team members who are inspired to work with people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff well-being and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate Energy.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Energy Engineer” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate Energy will only contact candidates via an elevateenergy.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.