Senior Energy Engineer – Detroit, MI
Elevate Energy seeks candidates for the position of Senior Energy Engineer in Detroit, Michigan where Elevate Energy provides energy efficiency services to affordable multifamily housing owners and nonprofits. The Senior Energy Engineer’s duties include working directly with property owners and real estate development teams to improve the performance, occupant health, and durability of multifamily buildings. The work requires technical architectural and mechanical competency, knowledge of building science and green building practices and technologies, and experience with the implementation of energy efficiency improvement strategies. Working experience with LEED, Enterprise Green Community, or other certification projects is a plus. The Senior Energy Engineer is expected to coordinate with other technical staff across Elevate Energy’s offices as well as with local and national partner organizations.
The Senior Energy Engineer will report to the Director of Engineering.
- Conduct energy assessments
- Assist with development of and participate in design meetings to identify and target cost effective greening strategies
- Attend project meetings and participate in discussions on relevant sustainability issues
- Assist with developing energy efficiency and renewable energy strategies for new construction, renovation, and retrofit projects
- Assist with reviewing technical documents, such as building plans, specifications, and submittals to ensure that green design intent and certification requirements are incorporated and that green features are buildable
- Work with a team to implement a green building rating systems, such as LEED, Enterprise Green Communities, or ENERGY STARâ
- Assist with construction management responsibilities, including inspections, to ensure that projects are built as designed, program requirements are met, and problems are identified and resolved to the owner’s satisfaction
- Assist with post-occupancy evaluations of projects to ensure they perform as intended;
- Coordinate with utility representatives and file rebate forms
- Write reports and case studies
- Maintain relationships with clients
The Senior Energy Engineer is expected to travel as needed to enable Elevate Energy to meet client deliverable expectations and develop business.
- Five or more years of experience conducting energy assessments and/or site inspections
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering
- Academic or work experience that demonstrates:
- The ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong Microsoft Excel and Word skills
- Experience conducting energy assessments, including meeting ASHRAE Level 2 requirements
- Technical competence in reading and interpreting specifications and plans
- Entrepreneurial, results-oriented, and a team player
- Strong desire to work on energy efficiency and sustainability issues at the building level
- Experience in building science and working with multifamily buildings a plus
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM), Certified Energy Auditor (CEA), Building Energy Assessment Professional (BEAP), LEED accreditation, or BPI certification (or ability to obtain) a plus; experience working on certification projects and/or retrofit programs also a plus
- Valid drivers’ license
This is an Exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience.
We design and implement programs that reduce costs, protect people and the environment, and ensure the benefits of clean and efficient energy use reach those who need them most.
At Elevate Energy, the greatest asset of our organization is the kind of people we attract. Elevate Energy employees co-create our energetic and collaborative environment, where constant learning and service to others takes priority. We empower individuals to challenge conventional thinking in pursuit of innovation and we seek dynamic, hardworking employees who are inspired to work with team members of diverse backgrounds and perspectives. Every day, we make a difference by placing our team, clients, and community partners first. From our mission to our focus on staff wellbeing and career development opportunities, there’s no better place to grow your career than Elevate Energy.
Elevate Energy is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume through our candidate portal at http://elevateenergy.appone.com/. Search for “Senior Energy Engineer” to find the position listing.
Please note that Elevate Energy will only contact candidates via an elevateenergy.org email address. We will never ask a candidate for payment of any kind as part of the hiring or onboarding process or send payment to any candidate prior to completing the hiring and onboarding process.
No phone calls please.